Formerly of Valley Pools, the valley, dominated from the Alps of the Three Powers (1940 m asl), is now known as Valley of Light. The great abundance of water creates precisely the "pools" from which the ancient name of the valley, or small lakes that freeze during winter, creating as a mirror to dot the valley. In 1935 the area was purchased by Lapo Farinati, first Mayor of the newly formed City of Abetone. Aiming to make an important tourist center that affect the entire valley, Farinati launched a project for the construction of a large hotel, with different dependencies, runs and lifts, a needle for ice skating and even a racecourse and a circuit automobile. High up on the ridge, was to be built a tower lit by a great beacon light, which would have made the Valley the Valley of the Pools of Light.